How often should I check my roof?
Experts recommend inspecting your roof twice per year. In Dunedin the ideal times to check your roof are the end of August, and beginning of Spring. Dunedin winters can be very harsh on your roofing materials, causing them to contact and expand as temperature levels vary. Large downpours of rain will also wear at any paint and coatings on your roof, and degrade tile integrity. Conversely, a heated roof during a hot summer day will rapidly contract during a cool summer shower, resulting in thermal shock.
What should I look for?
- Check for mold, moss, grime, leaves, plants, and debris.
- Inspect the coating. Is it faded or cracked? Is there any rust?
- Have any nails popped up?
- Inspect any tiles. Are they sitting correctly? Are they cracked?
- Is your roof drooping or bowed in any areas?
- Check all penetrations in your roof and make sure they are properly sealed.
- Check your gutters and drainage. Are they blocked? Is water pooling and sitting anywhere for an extended period of time?
- Grainy particles in your gutter for tile and asphalt roofs are a strong indication that your roof needs recoating.
Note: Pay extra attention to all areas where the roof changes angle and direction. Also examine the areas where metal sheets join, and the flashings that cover them.
Can I fix this on my own?
This question comes down to personal knowledge and ability. Most people can clean gutters, and brush any dirt and debris off their roof independently.
With the proper safety precautions in place, here are a few ways to maintain your roof:
- Hammer in any popped nails.
- Using a water brush, remove all moss, mold, and grime adhering to your roof.
- Repaint your roof:- If you want to go down the DIY path and repaint your own roof, make sure to thoroughly research the correct coatings for your particular roof type. All rust will need to be removed and a rust prevention coating used.
For any problems more serious, I would recommend a professional inspection and repair. Promax Coating Systems Dunedin are your local roofing and water proofing experts. They offer a free inspection and strive to find a solution that extends the life of your current roof. You can find them at 5 Largo Avenue, Dunedin, 9012.